Bethlehem Local Office - 10/2018 - Legal Secretary
Legal Aid SA accredited TopEmployer SA for 9 consecutive years – is a credible employer of choice. It’s culture is rooted in leadership, driven by the value and advancement of human rights. The organisation is a key contributor to South Africa’s constitutional democracy providing quality legal services to the poor and vulnerable. The organisation has a national footprint. It offers an exciting Employment Value Proposition with opportunities for development, career growth and an inspiring workplace.
Applications are invited from persons interested to fill in the above-mentioned position. The incumbent will be appointed on a permanent basis. The position is based in Bethlehem.
To provide administrative and legal secretarial support to administration sections in accordance with Legal Aid SA policies, procedures and standards, in support of quality legal services.
- Carry out the administrative function effectively and efficiently.
- Provide efficient secretarial support of the Office.
- Obtain, source, type, proofread, make copies and distribute documents according to instructions received.
- Co-ordinate and monitor all the civil unit’s administrative matters.
- Participate and provide support to implement an effective filing and diary system to ensure that the civil unit addresses matters on behalf of clients and availability of the practitioner.
- Assist legal practitioners with all ancillary matters to the preparation and presentation of cases.
- Develop and maintain a system to ensure that receipt of documents emanating from other units and or centres are acknowledged.
- Develop a system to ensure that documents received from opposing attorneys are received and distributed to the relevant practitioner timely.
- Develop a system to record sensitive documents and to ensure same day distribution of these documents.
- Gather required information and arrange for consultative interviews.
- Assist with the completion of routine forms for legal practitioners and ensure that they are submitted for approval.
- Maintain and update meeting schedules.
- Maintain record keeping and filing system.
- Ensure that reports and documentation are timely sent / delivered to the relevant parties.
- Ensure that physical assets are reconciled to each individual office list at the Office monthly.
- Maintenance and issuing of stationery in accordance with relevant Legal Aid SA procedures.
- Maintain attendance registers in accordance with the Legal Aid SA HR policy.
- Maintain a register of mail items and court documents sent by Docex and track their delivery.
- Maintain a register of documents sent to the High Court Unit, Impact Litigation Department and Senior Litigator.
- Maintain a list with regular fax numbers and double check with clients to determine full instructions for handling of faxes with full adherence to clients’ instructions.
- Attend to photocopying and binding of documents as required.
- Attend to proper allocation of duplication / stationery costs as per Legal Aid SA policies/procedures.
- Assist with the accurate completion of practitioner matter activity reports (MARs) and updating of any web pages designed to capture information for the civil unit.
- Keep handy the complete list of all relevant contact numbers for Office personnel and major customer/role players at all times.
- Adhere to proper telephone etiquette, accurate taking and conveying of messages at all times.
COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ATTRIBUTES) REQUIRED
- A recognised Grade 12 (Std 10) certificate with typing as a subject.
- Relevant secretarial/administration diploma with proof of computer literacy training.
- Must have dictation transcription experience.
- Must have typing speed equivalent to the norm for secretaries about 65 – 75 words per minute.
- Minimum one year relevant admin and secretarial experience in a legal environment.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Attention to detail.
- A valid driver’s license.
- Excellent Excel skills.
BASIC SALARY: LEVEL 5 R163, 563.00 plus benefits per annum
A detailed curriculum vitae reflecting practical application of the position outputs and the required competencies as advertised must be submitted by close of business on 30 October 2018, quoting the reference number WBETHL/LEGSEC/12/10/2018 in the subject line to WCNCRecruit@legal-aid.co.za or apply online at www.legal-aid.co.za Enquiries to Thethiwe Mokoena Tel: 058 303 6824
Preference will be given to candidates in terms of Legal Aid SA Employment Equity Plan.
People with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
LEGAL AID SA RESERVES THE RIGHT NOT TO APPOINT