Botshabelo Local Office - 11/2018 - Legal Secretary
Legal Aid SA accredited TopEmployer SA for 9 consecutive years – is a credible employer of choice. It’s culture is rooted in leadership, driven by the value and advancement of human rights. The organisation is a key contributor to South Africa’s constitutional democracy providing quality legal services to the poor and vulnerable. The organisation has a national footprint. It offers an exciting Employment Value Proposition with opportunities for development, career growth and an inspiring workplace.
Applications are invited from persons interested to fill in the above-mentioned position. The incumbent will be appointed on a permanent basis. The position is based in Botshabelo.
To provide administrative and secretarial support to the Civil Unit in accordance with Legal Aid SA policies, procedures and standards.
- Carry out the Civil Units administrative function effectively.
- Provide efficient secretarial support to the civil unit.
- Obtain, source, type, proofread, make copies and distribute according to instructions received.
- Co-ordinate and monitor all civil units administrative matters.
- Participate and provide support to implement an effective filing and diary system to ensure that the civil unit addresses matters on behalf of clients and availability of the Practitioner.
- Assist legal practitioners with all ancillary matters to the preparation and presentation of cases.
- Develop and maintain a system to ensure that receipt of documents emanating from other units and or offices are acknowledged.
- Develop a system to ensure that documents received from opponent attorneys are received and distributed to the relevant practitioner, timeously.
- Develop a system to record sensitive documents and to ensure same day distribution of these documents.
- Gather required information and arrange for consultative interviews.
- Assist with the completion of routine forms for legal practitioners and ensure that they are submitted for approval.
- Maintain and update meeting schedules.
- Maintain record keeping and filing system.
- Ensure that reports and documentation are timeously sent/delivered to the relevant people.
- Ensure that physical assets are reconciled to each individual office list at the Office on a monthly basis.
- Maintenance and issuing of stationery in accordance with relevant Legal Aid SA procedures.
- Maintain attendance registers in accordance with the Legal Aid SA HR Policy.
- Maintain a register of mail items and court documents sent by Docex and track their delivery.
- Maintain a register of documents sent to the High Court Unit, Impact Litigation department and Senior Litigator.
- Maintain list with regular fax numbers and double check with customers to determine full instructions for handling of fax with full adherence to customer instructions.
- Always attach successful transmission report to send faxes.
- Attend to photocopying and binding of documents as required.
- Attend to proper allocation of duplication/stationery costs as per Legal Aid SA policies/procedures.
- Assist with the accurate completion of practitioner matter activity reports (MARs) and updating of any web pages designed to capture information for the civil unit.
- Keep handy the complete list of all relevant contact numbers for Office personnel and major customer/role players at all times.
- Adhere to proper telephone etiquette, accurate taking and conveying of messages at all times.
- A recognized Grade 12 certificate.
- Minimum one (1) year relevant admin and secretarial experience with a legal environment.
- Understanding and Application of Basic Computer Software Packages.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Attention to detail.
COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ATTRIBUTES) REQUIRED
Salary: Level 5 (R163, 563.00) plus benefits per annum
A detailed curriculum vitae reflecting practical application of the position outputs and required skills as advertised must be submitted by close of business on 13 November 2018, quoting the above reference number on the subject line to: Phindile Maphutsi Tel: 051 534 4398 or email FSNWRecruit@legal-aid.co.za or apply online at www.legal-aid.co.za
Preference will be given to candidates in terms of Legal Aid SA Employment Equity Plan. People with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
LEGAL AID SA RESERVES THE RIGHT NOT TO APPOINT