How we help
The types of cases Legal Aid South Africa helps with
Provided you qualify for help, we can assist with:
- Criminal cases - These are cases where you are suspected of commiting a crime.
- Civil cases – These are cases where a judge needs to decide on a dispute between you and someone else or a company.
Sometimes an issue may include both a civil and criminal case. For example, you may be charged with a crime (under criminal law) and by another person (under civil law).
Cases you can get legal aid for
Legal aid is available for the following legal issues, including:
- Criminal offences
- Consumer issues (Consumer Protection Act)
- Contract law
- Debt issues (National Credit Act)
- Deceased estates
- Problems accessing payment of benefits
- Employment claims, such as unfair dismissal or discrimination
- Separation, divorce or disputes about children
- Actions against the police, such as wrongful arrest
- Challenging the decision of a local authority
- Housing, such as threatened eviction
- Threatened evictions from farms
- Mental health, such as legal advice if you’re detained in a mental hospital
- Domestic violence
- Any case where your rights have been violated
Cases you can’t get legal aid for