Ensure that the residential address of your spouse given to the sheriff is correct. This will prevent multiple unsuccessful attempts of service which may lead to higher sheriff’s fees.
If you have reason to believe that your spouse will try to evade the sheriff, it may be useful to provide the sheriff with a photo of your spouse, or a copy of his ID book, if you have it.

Service of Summons

Now that your summons have been issued, you need to make at least two sets of photocopies of the entire bundle and have the summons served by the sheriff of the Court.

A sheriff is an officer of the Court. He /she is required to issue and serve the first pleading (divorce summons) in divorce proceedings on your spouse. In divorce actions, he / she has to serve the summons on your spouse in person.

Determine which sheriff needs to serve the summons on your spouse by referring to the area in which your spouse resides. A sheriff has certain service areas and will only serve pleadings in such areas.

A sheriff charges a fee for every time he tries to serve a summons on your spouse. If the summons could not be served, either because the residential address provided is incorrect or because the spouse was not present at the address, the sheriff ‘s return of service will indicate that he was unsuccessful and the reason. If this is the case, you will have to instruct the sheriff again. In the case that the summons was served successfully on your spouse, the sheriff will write a return of service indicating that he served the summons on your spouse in person.

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (No Ratings Yet)